Thursday, March 15, 2012

detergent update update

So I think user error was all that was pretty much wrong with my first go-around with my homemade detergent. I didn't think one tablespoon would be enough so I put in two. The result was residue. One tablespoon is absolutely enough. The clothes smell fresh without smelling like detergent. Stains come out, clothes are definitely clean. I use it to wash ALL laundry and nobody, not even DD, has had any reaction to it. I am hooked. I can't wait to make more batches with different kind of soaps!

I start with the washer set to hot with no clothes in it. I add the tablespoon of detergent. I let it fill up for just maybe 10 seconds. Then, I add the clothes and switch it over to cold water (how I normally do all of my laundry, except CDs). Why this weird process? I think the hot water helps the soap dissolve before the clothes get in there. I just made it up, basically, so it's not difficult for me to "remember the steps". It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is when I type it all out here.

In an effort to be more "green", I have also started line drying more of our laundry. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get some more lines up outside! Before this, I was so lame that I wasn't even line-drying my CDs! Forget the green factor, line-drying significantly increases the life of your CDs. It just makes sense! So anyways, I started thinking, why not increase the life of ALL my clothes? Uh, duh!

So, I can't believe I have just written a whole blog about laundry! But I guess if everyone's gotta do laundry, I may as well do it in a way that makes me proud. I guess it's easier to do laundry when I feel like I am doing it the "right" way. It's taken me one tiny step closer to the kind of socially responsible person I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment