Thursday, March 29, 2012

Our Birth Plan

I wanted to share the my family's birth plan. This is the current revision for our son's upcoming birth. It was just a little different for DD's birth. Obviously, there was no mention of circumcision in hers! Also, in the opening paragraph, I talked about how my brother and Jeff and his brother were born at the same hospital so we have a family history there rather than talk about DD's birth.

Some people beleive that birth plans are a waste of time because "whatever happens, happens" in labor and delivery. I disagree. I think it is a woman's right and responsibility to maintain as much control over the situation as possible. Can you control or predict EVERYTHING? Of course not. But can you always have a say in SOMETHING? Absolutely.

No, not everything about my labor and delivery was exactly how I wanted it. However, despite the surprises, DH and I both maintain that our labor and delivery experience was amazing. And our Birth Plan definitely helped. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Hopefully, this will help some of you in writing your own birth plans!


**************************************************************************************************************

The _________ Family Birth Plan

Hello! We are _________________________. We are expecting our second child, who ultrasounds tell us is a boy! We have a long history of family being born at __________________Hospital, including our daughter in 2010, and we so look forward to continuing the tradition! We have chosen __________Hospital because we are familiar with the facilities and believe that the hospital provides great care.

We believe that labor and birth should be free from as much medical intervention as possible. We are hoping for a natural childbirth. This plan represents our preferences; however we do recognize that in the event of unforeseen difficulties it may need to be renegotiated. We would like all options to be discussed and would like to be able to have the opportunity to contemplate our options.

We ask that you please respect our wishes and read through our birth plan. We look forward to working with you in safely bring our son into the world. Thank you in advance for your hard work, support, and sharing this intimate moment with us.

Labor and Delivery:

·                    If I appear to be having trouble coping with the pain, please do not offer any drug relief, such as an epidural. I have prepared for this birth with Bradley Method techniques. We will ask for something if we find it necessary.
·                    Please do not rupture the bag of waters.
·                    As long as the baby and I are healthy, I prefer to have no time limits on pushing. Please do not offer any Pitocin, etc.
·                    I do not want an episiotomy unless there is a clear medical reason.
·                    We will be making full use of the room and its contents. I wish to be free to find the most comfortable position at the time and not confined to lying on the bed.
·                    We ask that fetal monitoring be done with a hand-held Doppler.
·                    I prefer minimal internal vaginal exams or at my request only.

After Birth:

·                    We wish for the cord to remain intact and attached to baby until the cord stops pulsating and/or delivery of the placenta. We wish for the placenta to be born spontaneously without the use of Pitocin, and/or controlled traction on the umbilical cord.
·                    As long as my baby is healthy, I would like my baby placed immediately on my abdomen following the birth. I would like to have routine newborn procedures, including the administration of eye drops/cream, delayed until bonding and breastfeeding have occurred.
·                    I prefer any immunizations be postponed to a later time. We have decided to decline the Hepatitis B vaccine at this time. Please consult us before implementing any medical procedures.
·                    I would like to breast feed exclusively. Please do not offer the baby any formula, sugar water, a pacifier, etc.
·                    If the baby has any problems and needs to be taken to another location, I would like my husband to be with the baby at all times, if possible.
·                    We are not having our son circumcised.

If a Caesarean delivery is necessary:

·                    I wish to be awake for the procedure.
·                    I wish for my husband to be present regardless of whether or not I am conscious for the procedure.
·                    We ask that the cord remain intact and the placenta remain with baby until the cord stops pulsating.
·                    We would like the baby to be placed on either my or my husband’s chest immediately for skin-to-skin contact.
·                    I would like my husband and our baby to be with me in recovery.


No comments:

Post a Comment