Sunday, April 8, 2012

coconut oil


Speaking of products that are changing my life...DD's skin and hair are very dry. I have no idea where in her genetic make-up this happened but there it is. Vaseline does not help. Lanolin does not help. No lotions help. We also started to get very concerned with what ingredients are in lotions on the market today, especially after the recent Johnson and Johnson findings.

I had heard that coconut oil was good for skin on a granola mommies forum. I spent $50 at Lush, between a coconut oil based soap and a coconut oil based lotion. I love Lush because their products are all handmade, all-natural, organic, and never tested on animals. They did seem to make a difference, but I thought there had to be something more.

It was actually my MIL who found straight up Coconut Oil at a grocery store. Apparently, you can also use it for cooking! Ha! Nobody told me!

It has been a Godsend! First of all, it is the craziest texture ever. My husband found it and asked "How long has this container of mashed potatoes been in Lydia's bag?" It initially feels like a jar of wax. However, the minute you start to rub it into your skin, it melts into an oil. Second, it doesn't smell anything like coconut! It doesn't smell like anything at all! It has just been incredible for Lydia. It also has antibacterial properties, so it helps with diaper rash.

Can anyone else attest to this? Does anyone have any other all-natural rememdies for dry skin to offer?

6 comments:

  1. May 7, 2012 granola moms are going to love Na-Na's Naturals. The ingredients are all plant & oils but the best part is the LOW COST! Email jawee@comcast.net if you want to try some products FREE + S&H. They want some good feedback from their Mom network. Online store will not launch til the 7th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting! Thanks for the heads up and good luck on the business venture!

      Delete
  2. Coconut oil is amazing for a lot of things. It's antibacterial, antifungal, moisturizing, and so much more! I have used it for my son for diaper rash and it works like a charm. However, if he gets a really bad one, from a stomach bug or something, I have to pull out the big guns and go with desitin. You can also use coconut oil as a body lotion and it's also really good for your teeth. It's called oil pulling. If you look at the website earthclinic.com it will tell you everything about oil pulling. I'm also a big fan of that website simply because it's all natural remedies for almost anything you can think of. Even pets! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! It looks like there is a TON of useful information on there!

      I have never had luck with Desitin :-( As far as traditional diaper creams go, we found Boudreaux's Butt Paste to be effective. However, once we started DD on probiotics, we never had anymore issues with diaper rash (actually, it was yeast rash she was getting).

      Delete
  3. Yea, my son ended up being allergic to Boudreaux's so I had to stop using it! (Which disappointed me since it's the best!) I never thought about probiotics, I might have to look into those for him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are huge (obnoxious) proponents of probiotics! I always thought probiotics were just for digestion problems and it was our family doctor who recommended them for DD's rash. I feel like the results were miraculous because her rash had just been so nasty and painful and it completely clearned up in a couple week's time...and then it just never came back. Good luck and let me know hnow it works out for your LO!

      Delete