Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DIY dishwasher detergent

I have had so much success with my DIY laundry detergent that I am hooked on trying some other DIY cleaners. Another cleaner we spend way too much money on is dishwasher detergent. So I did a little searching...



Here is the recipe I found and plan on trying:
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda
  • 1/2 cup citric acid
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • Fill rinse agent compartment with white vinegar.
I found this recipe on this website: diyNatural

I like it because I am already buying borax and washing soda for the laundry detergent, so now we can just buy those two things in bulk. CHA-CHING! I'm really excited to give this a try. We'll do some grocery shopping this weekend and I will let you know how it goes!

6 comments:

  1. Where would you buy the citric acid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The website suggests going to a brewery specialy store or ordering online. I plan on checking out Beers of the World here in Rochester - http://www.mybeersoftheworld.com/

      Delete
    2. Vitamin or Supplement stores like GNC should also carry it. Supermarkets will sometimes carry it if they have an organic section or with their vitamins.

      Delete
    3. okay we went to GNC and our upscale grocery store with no luck finding citric acid. we found it in Beers of the World in the brewing section. it came in 1 pound bags and it was inexpensive.

      Delete
    4. Wal-Mart sells it by the canning supplies

      Delete