Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Co-Sleeping Interview Series - Jordan W.


During this series, I love reading and learning the difference opinions and motivations of each woman but, what speaks greater volumes, are the common themes I see emerging with each interview. It helps to see all of these women with the same parenting values so that you can reflect on whether or not you share those same values. If you do, this may be an option you want to explore for your family. Thanks again, Jordan W., for your honesty and willingness to share with us.


1. What is co-sleeping?

Co-sleeping is having baby either in bed with you or right next to your bed (in a co-sleeper, etc.)

2. What led your family to decide that co-sleeping was right for you?


We tried to have V in bed with us, but she refused to settle down. She is very easily over-stimulated and made it clear early on that she demanded her own space. So, we compromised and got an Arms Reach co-sleeper. I could still love up on her, and she slept great. We could not handle the thought of having our teeny baby away from us all night. It seems odd and completely unnatural to be separated like that. Plus, getting up to BF would have been much harder on me. Rolling her into bed to feed and then back into the sleeper gave me much more sleep. Occasionally after nursing she would fall asleep next to me, but not for long.

3. What are the benefits of co-sleeping?


Benefits are more sleep/easier on mama, bonding/security for baby. If she fussed, I could reach over and rub her back for 15 seconds and we would both go back to sleep. Much shorter than getting up. Plus, the peace of mind. If she stopped breathing or vomited or seemed uncomfortable I was right there to see it/deal with it. Her out of my sight would've given me anxiety.

4. What can be dangerous about co-sleeping?


I've heard people occasionally suffocate their babies, but I never worried about that. I slept pretty lightly with V in bed and woke when she made the slightest movement. I definitely know a lot of mamas whose LO's have fallen off the bed; so that would be a serious drawback; but I never slept well enough for that to happen. Personally, THAT is the biggest drawback - not getting good rest because her in our bed kept me alert.

5. What do you say to people in the medical community who say co-sleeping is linked to SIDS?


I'm pretty sure they've proven that SIDS is REDUCED in co-sleeping situations. Their is a difference between mysterious SIDS and suffocation. If you are on meds, or in poor health, or drunk; or if you don't educate yourself on proper co-sleeping procedure (i.e no fluffy pillows in your newborns way, loads of loose blankets), then your baby may be at risk. Under normal circumstances, close proximity to mama regulates baby's temp/breathing/even heart rate, so I don't believe the ignorant statement that it is linked to a higher incidence of SIDS.

6. If someone were considering co-sleeping, what would you say to them to encourage them?


I would tell them everything i have mentioned in the last few answers.

7. What are your favorite co-sleeping resources?


I have no real faves, but I'd refer someone to the Dr. Sears website.

No comments:

Post a Comment