Saturday, June 30, 2012

cloth diapering update

So, with DD we used only bumGenius one-size pockets, which we LOVED! The one-size diapers are convenient and cost effective because you only buy one set of diapers for you LO's entire non-potty trained career. However, there are some downsides. First, they don't fit a baby under 8 lbs, generally. Itty-bitty DD could not wear them until she was 2 months old. Even then, they were pretty bulky and weren't tight enough around her chicken legs. With DS, I decided to be more adventurous and try some other kinds of CDs...okay, I decided to try pretty much EVERY kind of CD. I am driving DH crazy.


First of all, I am trying out sized diapers. DS is still in newborn size, but one little pound away from small. The benefit of sized diapers is that they have a trimmer fit and your LO doesn't wear them for as long so they are better for resale and buying used. (DD's bumGeniuses, though still effective diapers, are pretty worn looking as we have been using them for 2 years.) I am really enjoying both of these benefits.

I have also a discovered an entirely new type of CD! I introduce to you...fitteds and covers! The fitted diaper is soft and trim and the whole thing is absorbant. Over it, you put a cover, which is very thin and lined with PUL so it is water-proof, keeping the pee that the fitted absorbed away from your LO's clothing. DS is a really heavy wetter and these have proven to be THE MOST effective way to keep him dry. Even DH is sold. Additionally, they are a cost effective way to CD because you don't have to wash the covers after every changing so you don't need as many covers as fitteds. I am IN LOVE!

So far, my favorite fitteds are bumGenius Delux Bamboo Fitted Diaper and Thirsties Duo Fab Fitted. My favorite covers are Blueberry Diaper Covers and Thirsties Diaper Covers. They work wonderfully! I plan on writing a full write-up with pictures on my Cloth Diapering page ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment