Tuesday, October 30, 2012

snake oil?

So, I don't know if I am a sucker or what, but I finally broke down and bought Elliott what is known as an amber teething necklace last month. I felt like I was seeing them everywhere and everyone was raving about them so I thought, "What the heck?" DS is one heck of a drooler and seems to be pretty gassy, so I was hoping this could help.

I went to my favorite local natural parenting store, Luvaboos, and picked one up. They say that the ones with the more opaque or lightest colored beads work the best. So I found this great multi-colored one. I forgot to tell Jeff about it, so when he saw it, he was not happy. He thought I was trying to make some sort of fashion statement and kept calling DS "Matthew McConaughey'. *insert dramatic eye roll here* As if! I barely wear jewelery myself!

Not 2 days later, I come home from work and DH has a sheepish look on his face. He starts by apologizing and taking full blame for something. I know this cannot be good. He took Elliott's necklace off before bed and left it on a low table. One of our cats got to it. I should explain that I have diagnosed one of my cats with Pica. God, she is absolutely ridiculous. These things can't even taste good that she eats!

Now my OTHER cat will go after any food. She is a complete scavenger. You can't leave your hand out with a bite of sandwich in it while you answer the phone or she is at it like a wolf! But THIS cat wouldn't go after your fried chicken if you left it unattended at the table while you went to the bathroom. No, no, no! She wants to eat plastic and paper and plastic bags and strings and other such nonsense. So she goes after this necklace. God knows why.

She ate FOURTEEN of the beads. Fourteen! None of them could have been tasty! What would possess her to do that? Fast forward a couple hours and this cat is totally tripping out! We couldn't believe the reaction. She was literally climbing walls and zipping all over the place. In hindsight, we probably should have thought about bringing her to a vet. I was just so angry!

Those necklaces are not cheap so I cannot buy another one right now. However, I also feel like we won't get an accurate picture of how well the necklace is "working" or not. I know you can find cheap amber necklaces online but I am worried that they are not real amber. I thought about maybe getting just a bracelet, which my SIL pointed out that I could just put on his ankle, which would be easier for our lives overall since screwing a little necklace on a baby is pretty much an Olympic event every morning at our house.

So for now, I don't think it's fair to give my review of the legitimacy of an amber teething necklace. I will tell you that we still put it on him everyday, so I guess we are still holding on to hope. I will post again if we decide to get a new necklace or bracelet.

Anyone else out there using an amber teething necklace? Successes? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment