Monday, April 8, 2013

sharing policy

I really wish I were a more progressive parent. But the truth is, when my child behaves in a way that I feel is inappropriate and needs correction and guidance, I fall into strategies that my parents used on me, no matter how stupid they are. Now, I am proud to say that we are not no will we ever be a hitting family. It makes zero sense to me to tell a child that they cannot hit you, their siblings, their friends at school, their teachers, etc. but hit them as a form of discipline. I do not want to hit my kids because hitting is wrong.

However, we do do time-outs in this house. I know that time-outs are controversial in the attachment parenting community. I have read and discussed articles about the consequences and alternatives. However, I am really struggling in this arena. I am a work in progress.

I like to blame the majority of it on my lack of sleep. I have not slept longer than a 4-hour stretch in almost 11 months thanks to a certain (absolutely adorable) little boy who still wakes 2-3x a night. I am exhausted. I just cannot focus on anything. My creative juices are all dried up. Also, the rough terrain I am currently navigating on this particular path in my life (not for this blog) has left me pretty stressed and on edge. Unfortunately, it is affecting my home life, particularly my parenting and I know I gotta reign this in. I am a work in progress.

In an effort to find my parenting style groove, I need to first really establish my parenting philosophies. This article gave me a lot to think about. I do frequently find myself bending to what I think others' expectations are for my own child's behavior in public. I hear myself telling them things I don't actually think  are true so that we all appear to be proper and civilized. The pressures of everyone's judgement affect me more than I wish they would. I wish I could be one of those cool, calm, and collected moms but I am not confident enough in my parenting to be that mom-tastic. I am a work in progress.

*Side Note: I mailed in my Bradley training academic package this past Thursday! I hope to hear back from the Academy within the next couple weeks! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment