Friday, May 31, 2013

Diaper Stripping

On the local cloth diaper swap and chat Facebook page that I admin, there is a lot of talk about how to strip diapers. To strip your diapers means to, essentially, sanitize them in a particular way in an effort to rid them of bacteria or yeast, etc. Honestly, I think it is the number 1 topic that comes up and I am so perplexed. I have cloth diapered for over 3 years now. I have only stripped my diapers ONCE because Lydia developed a yeast rash. Diaper stripping is not something to take lightly. It is a harsh procedure that can shorten the life of your CDs. Just because a diaper may smell funny or baby develops a rash it does not automatically mean that your diapers need to be stripped.

I am convinced that the majority of the time people's issues with their diapers have to do with their detergent or wash cycle. Their diapers simply are not clean enough. It is usually a matter of too much detergent, not enough detergent, the wrong kind of detergent, or a wash routine that is not thorough enough that is the culprit. This is always something that has bothered me. It makes cloth diaper seem so complicated and turns people off to it so I take it personally. Luckily for me, I do not have to do any research to convince you of this because someone else already did! I am so happy to be including this article in my Cloth Diapering page. I hope it will save many mothers from needless frustration.

 
Detergent is a hot topic, as well. I recently switched to the Allens Naturally powder. I am LOVING it! I was using my own DIY detergent and it was working well, at first, but then the diapers strated to get stinky. I beleive they were just not getting clean enough. Then I was using the Melaleuca liquid detergent that I was using on the rest of my clothes. However, I did not like how scented the diapers were when they came out of the wash. I always felt like it was not rinsing well enough and was probably too harsh for the diapers. Allens is really popular at luvaboos, so I thought I would give it a try. I prefer powder detergents because they tend to be gentler. I highly recommend the Allens. I know women who use it on all of their laundry, even. It is good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment