Thursday, January 2, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

So it's 2014! I hope your 2013 ended on a high note and you are looking forward to the coming year. 

We all know that coconut oil (CO) is my go-to cure-all for anything topical. I still love it, don't worry! However, I have 2 loves in my life: Melaleuca oil/tea tree oil (TTO)and grape seed extract (GSE). Rember folks, I am no kind of doctor. I am just speaking to the kind of success we have had here in the Beach household using these products.


 


The TTO I use to treat anything topical, usually in conjunction with the CO but not always. I especially like it as an astringent on my angry face skin or on my skin after I shave. I also use it directly on the skin when E has a diaper rash and also in the bum spray, mixed with water and CO, that I spray on at every diaper change. It is glorious.

The GSE is a relatively new discovery. I keep hearing about different friends of mine using it to help with immunity. I finally bought it from a friend who was selling it in an auction to raise funds for her adoption. She had been using it to keep healthy during her cross-continental trips for her mission work and to visit and pick up her son. Another friend was telling me that she uses it when she feels an illness first coming on to stave it off or shorten the life of it. I used it during The Great Stomach Bug Invasion of Christmas 2013 and it definitely seemed to help. We suffered much less than others seemed to. I regret not taking it more regularly.

Here is a sweet blog post circulating a lot of mommy and parenting forums lately. Body image for women in America is so difficult as it is and I know I have discussed this topic ad nauseam. But the proof that the issue continues to remain unresolved lies in the fact that every time someone writes about it, it continues to generate a lot of buzz! I know that I still get overwhelmed to the point of tears when I stop and think, really THINK, about my babies growing inside of my body and coming out alive and well. It's an incredible miracle each and every time and I got to do it TWICE. How lucky am I? But of course, there's a part of me that looks at this sad, flabby, lumpy bag of flesh that I wear now and I wonder "Is this just another kind of prison?" But I dismiss these self-deprecating thoughts quickly. I know they do me no good and, more importantly, are untrue. And a still-small voice in my head can't help but scoff at the 21-year-old writer "Psh, try being pregnant at 30 and see what it means to REALLY have your body be warped by pregnancy. Not the same kind of elasticity that is helping you out now." But that's just rude.

And this article was the shocker for the week. I do appreciate the author's commentary on couples waiting longer to have children and therefore tend to have their children closer together in age (for fear of "running out of time") and that can CERTAINLY strain a relationship, particularly when you have spent so much time in that relationship living a certain way; as a couple. I do see that happening again and again. Babies do not fix relationships, they also do not inherently make them better. A relationship can be made stronger by having a child, only if said couple truly wants to have a child and has discussed it thoroughly together beforehand. (Seriously, too many new parents I know are arguing about discipline and parenting ideology AFTER the baby has already arrived. Hello!) That being said, I disagree with the advice that to "fix" this problem, all couples should adhere to a formula in which each of their children is at least 3 years apart. I wanted my children close-ish in age and so did my husband. It was something we talked about...BEFORE we had kids. We discussed what that would mean for our lives short-term and what it could mean for our children's lives long-term.

I also think that there is nothing rational about her ex-husband's behavioral response to having a second child. He sounds like an immature ass who's stunted emotional growth rendered him unable or unwilling to fully appreciate the ramifications of his decisions. No amount of "date nights", couples therapy, or age-gap formula was going to fix that.

And now, here's your warm and fuzzy mama moment for the day: you're welcome.



2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post. I have never heard of anyone using GSE for anything... interesting! I also loved the articles you posted!!! The body image one had a huge impact on me. We really do need to remind ourselves that it's okay to have our body be changed after pregnancy- we grew a human being inside of us for goodness' sake! It is hard to see past that sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaawww, thanks, love! I feel guilty about being so slack on the posting! Time just escapes me - you know how THAT goes!

      Delete